Thursday, March 1, 2007

It's the little things that make me happy ...


A project that I have been wanting to work on for some time now has been to make a dress for my girls. I can make a skirt and I can make a top, so if you can combine the two, surely you would get a dress?


And the answer is yes, I can make a dress!
Sure, there was a bit of unpicking involved and I am sure if a dressmaker saw it, they would pass out from the shock of the unorthodox construction. But hey, it looks OK? Don't go looking too closely though.



I really love adding little details to individualise what I make. I have a real "thing" for old buttons. The two on the back remind me of boiled lollies. And the one on the front is so pretty, just like a rosette. And the ric-rac trim went so perfectly with the blues and the greens. And I'm loving those umbrellas and those colours. I bought the umbrella fabric (Felicity Miller for Westminster Fibres "Kate's Umbrella's") specifically to make a dress. The stripes I had, and they just seemed to go. (Fleurish by Valori Wells for Free Spirit)
Yes, quite happy with that little effort.
Something else that makes me very happy is free fabric!
I am a big fan of Kristin's Sew Mama Sew on-line store. She stocks great fabric, is very helpful and the postage from Oregon to Melbourne takes seven days, so far, without fail. I was reading her blogthe other day, when I came across "Free Fabric Friday". Three of my favourite things - Fridays, Fabric and Free. I grovelled enough to be the lucky recipient of this fat quarter pack.
It is the pink and brown colourway of Moda's Uptown by Erin Michael. And I love it! It is different and gorgeous. Geometricfloral, fantastic combinations. And, while we are talking different and gorgeous, have a look at this!

Yes, it is fabric. And yes, it is colour-by-numbers. Remember those? And it has birds. You have to love fabric with birds. Sure, it takes some getting used to. But I can't wait to use it. I bought two yards and I feel some pencil rolls coming on. Pencil rolls and colour-by-numbers - a perfect combination.
Ah yes, it doesn't take much to make me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment